Thursday, February 16, 2012

First day at Autism West

Yesterday brought back a lot of old memories of my first day in Austism Partnership. A school that caters to children suffereing with autism or aspergers and to give them a chance to develop their skills to function in society. Well that was two years ago and when I was still in Singapore.

Yesterday was my first day at Autism West, an autism school for high functioning children here in Western Australia. Thank God for giving me this opportunity to learn more about them, to learn how to help them. It was indeed heartwarming to meet all the children. It is a small group and there were only about five children. Nonetheless, I did have an enjoyable time playing and getting to know each of them. I thank God that they were all accepting towards me. I mean they are about ten years old, still kids, but they were friendly, welcoming and played with me. In Singapore, there were six children, but there were at least three therapists (that's because they needed constant monitoring as they were all very low functioning). Here in autism west, we can speak to them like any other kids which really is a blessing. Here it's one therapist to five children.

The teacher did a great job engaging them and to allow them to participate in the activities that he has planned. I have to agree that they were fun and he really knows how to catch their attention. What I like about the whole session was that there were a lot of laughter, encouragement and just being comfortable in your own skin. That's what most important isn't it?

Yup, so this is the start of my new journey with a new Autism school. Some people do know that I have an interest for children suffering from Autism and there will always be something tugging in my heart pulling me towards this group of very special people.

Only God knows why and understands why. Only He knows what's best for them.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jia Yee, happy birthday! good luck and all the best in everything that you do at Australia! Take care!

    ~Yuan Hao

    ReplyDelete